Stuart Langridge, Jono Bacon, and Jeremy Garcia return, after a couple of months of trials and tribulations, to reveal our predictions for (the rest of) 2022! Prepare to find out What Comes Next in our roles as Cassandras:
- [00:06:20] Jono:
- VR bonanza: Apple will release their VR headset this year, and PSVR2 will be released, both purchasable by real people. Both will experience critical acclaim (although we won't have good sales figures)
- Tesla won't release a phone, Neuralink will launch in beta this year
- Truth Social will experience significant growth (but nowhere near as much as Twitter etc) but will be plagued with (1) stability issues, and (2) extremist content
- Bonus 1: Canonical will not be acquired
- Meta's VR services will actually not be terrible
- [00:28:35] Jeremy:
- Apple will, for the first time in a long time, release a completely new product line. It will be AR/VR, and it will be panned by critics
- At least one very large (think FAANG size but does not have to be a FAANG) will walk back their remote work policy
- both the US and EU pass sweeping tech related laws that have broad impact on the industry (part of the "techlash")
- Bonus 1: Gamestop stock price still above $100
- Inflation for the year below five percent
- Truth Social will shut down
- Mark Zuckerberg will not be CEO of Meta
- [00:49:40] Stuart:
- Apple will either allow sideloading or allow third-party browser engines on iOS
- Matter (the common protocol for IoT stuff) will see first devices released, people will not care (they should, but they won't, of course) and it won't actually work
- Meta's share price a third at end of year what it is at start: under $100 at end of 2022.
- Bonus 1: Some company will leak private customer data onto a blockchain so it's there forever
- Someone buys Twitter (likely to not happen because of the regulatory environment, as Jeremy points out!)
Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!
News music: Long Live Blind Joe by Robbero, used with attribution.
Thank you to Marius Quabeck and NerdZoom Media for being our audio producers!